Skype Journal Test

Monday, August 25, 2008

Andrew Y Ng: What Skype means to me

On the occasion of Skype's fifth birthday, Skype Journal will publish a series on "What Skype Means To Me". You are invited to email your essay or short thoughts to editor@SkypeJournal.com.  

Andrew Y Ng writes:

I started using Skype when my girlfriend was living in London for a summer, I tried various ways to call her and Skype offered high voice quality, ease of use, and was cost effective. After that I kept using Skype mostly as an IM client as it provides encryption under the hood. And then I discovered the greatness of Skype's group chat feature when a number of friends and forum members at SuperFuture started using it for group and voice chat. I was amazed how I could get to know someone across the globe so well via Skype.

I changed careers and got into the "web 2.0" business and was the VP of Technology of OnMyList.com, I suggested using Skype group chat to collaborate among the 4 people we had in the company. It worked extremely well and it was paramount to our communication. When I joined another startup I got them to use Skype as well for collaboration.

I am now working as a freelance consultant on Ruby on Rails sites, Facbeook, and other social applications, my partner and I communicate exclusively via Skype. We created Dealistic.com while he lives in DC and I am in San Francisco, 70% of the work done together via Skype voice chat and iChat screen sharing. We would have Skype voice chats for over 12 hours and it works flawlessly.

So what Skype means to me? It means staying closer to my closest friends and family, it means saving cost while running my own consulting practice, it means getting things done and collaborating effectively.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home